1) High penetration to width can be obtained, which is difficult with other welding processes.
2) High welding speed is obtained.
3) Material of high melting temperature can be welded.
4) Superior weld quality due to welding in vacuum.
5) High precision of the welding is obtained.
6) Distortion is less due to less heat affected zone.
7) Dissimilar materials can be welded.
8) Low operating cost.
10) Reactive materials like beryllium, titanium etc. can be welded.
11) Materials of high melting point like columbium, tungsten etc. can be welded.
12) Inaccessible joints can be made.
13) Very wide range of sheet thickness can be joined (0.025 mm to 100 mm)
Disadvantages of EBW:
1) Very high equipment cost.
2) High vacuum is required.
3) High safety measures are required.
4) Large jobs are difficult to weld.
5) Skilled man power is required.
Applications of EBW
1.Electron beam welding process is mostly used in joining of refractive materials like columbium, tungsten, ceramic etc. which are used in missiles.
2. In space shuttle applications wherein reactive materials like beryllium, zirconium, titanium etc. are used.
3. In high precision welding for electronic components, nuclear fuel elements, special alloy jet engine components and pressure vessels for rocket plants.
4. Dissimilar material can be welded like invar with stainless steel.