Advantages of Friction Welding
1. No filler material, flux or shielding gases are needed.
2. It is an environment-friendly process without generation of smoke, fumes or gases.
3. No material is melted so the process is in solid state with narrow heat affected zone (HAZ).
4. Oxides can be removed after the welding process.
5. In most cases, the weld strength is stronger than the weaker of the two materials being joined. 6. The process can be easily automated for mass production.
7. The process is very efficient and comparatively very rapid welds are made.
8. Plant requirements are minimal and wide variety of metals and combinations can be welded.
1. Process is restricted to Object that can be rotated about its axis
2.one of the component must be ductile when hot, to permit deformations.
3. Preparation and alignment of the workpieces may be critical for developing uniform rubbing and heating
4. Tooling costs are high and free-machining alloys are difficult to weld